In recognition of the importance of the Paris Climate talks which are scheduled to begin November 30th groups including Avaaz, 350.org and People’s Climate Movement have called for actions worldwide. To help emphasize the need for bold action we will be holding a rally near the Irvine Spectrum the day before the talks commence. From an article in the Guardian:
The governments of more than 190 nations will gather in Paris to discuss a possible new global agreement on climate change, aimed at reducing global greenhouse gas emissions and thus avoiding the threat of dangerous climate change.
Current commitments on greenhouse gas emissions run out in 2020, so at Paris governments are expected to produce an agreement on what happens for the decade after that at least, and potentially beyond.
To help emphasize the need for bold action we will be holding a rally near the Irvine Spectrum the day before the talks commence.
Sunday, November 29
1– 2:30 pm
- Barbara English, co-founder of Orange County for Climate Action; bio of Barbara English (PDF, 53 KB)
- Roger Gloss, Orange County for Climate Action (OCCA); download bio and statement, PDF, 63 KB
- Craig Preston, Citizens for Climate Solutions (CCL); Bio of Craig Preston (PDF, 91 KB)
- Steve Wicke, Sierra Club, Angeles Chapter; statement of Steve Wicke (PDF, 84 KB)
- Trav Williams, Orange County Interfaith Coalition for the Environment (OCICE); Statement & Bio of Trav Williams (PDF, 97 KB)
- Dr. Bill Honigman, Progressive Democrats of America (PDA); Statement and Bio of Dr. Honigman (PDF, 9 KB)
- Candice Nunez, QGITS, Climate Reality Project, Statement of Candice Nunez (PDF, 51 KB)
- Mayor Bao Nguyen, City of Garden Grove
- Greg Walgenbach, Director of Life, Justice and Peace, Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange; Bio and Statement (PDF, 121 KB)
- Kimberly Duong; bio (PDF, 64 KB)
- Virginia Bernal, United Nations Association, Orange County; Bio of Virginia Bernal (PDF, 116 KB)
- Felicity Figueroa; bio of Felicity Figueroa (PDF, 100 KB); Ms. Figueroa’s speech (PDF, 43 KB)
Other Statements of Support
Beth Krom, an Irvine Councilmember, is unable to be at the rally but she has sent this letter of support (PDF, 427 KB)
Orange County for Climate Action is a recently formed alliance with Living Ubuntu and United Nations Association of Orange County as founding partners. Our mission is to raise awareness, educate, increase collaboration, empower and motivate ourselves and others in Orange County to take actionable steps to reduce climate change and become better stewards of our environment.
For more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.